Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Where to begin: @ The Len Foote Hike Inn!




So, I didn't know how to weld, I didn't know how to build a structure, I didn't know where to begin, I didn't have any help, and I didn't have any money. But I do know about the power of prayer. As I was riding my folding bicycle up a hill home from work ( was staying with my parents at this time, July 2009) I prayed for the help I needed and the courage to learn the skills I would need to accomplish the task. My mother, son and I had a trip planned to The Len Foote Hike Inn in the north Georgia mountains that weekend. It is a rustic, Japanese style solar powered inn that you can only get to by hiking a five mile trail. When we got there I met up with a 72 year old man, Mr. Black-smith Bill from Cartersville Sproat, who I has met on previous occasions in years past on trips to the inn. He is a retired physicist and aero-space engineer, and not an artistic black smith. We had talked before about making hand made metal buttons, but on this occasion, as I was telling him about my dream he said it was a very manageable and inspiring goal, that he had all the tools and know how, as well as the experience building many houses, one of them out of steel! He and I sat up late into the night drawing possible designs of the unit, and neither of us could sleep. He offered to help me build it from the ground up! It was his offer of help the galvanized me to take the next step: to get some money together and get the running gear!
By the way: if you live in Georgia, and you want to visit any state park, you can check out a Georgia Sate park pass from your local library for a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment