Monday, November 26, 2012

Finishing the ridge cap and the hearth

 Tracy came over yesterday and helped me finish installing the ridge cap on the roof, and finish grouting the hearth.
 when I do something I do it right
 TRACY! helped me grout after we worked on the roof
 tools on the brink
 getting the idea....
 getting there, only one more screw in each.
 I needed help to hold this in place while I pre-drilled and screwed these in place. Thanks Tracy!
 done done done done done done done!
 front, except for that seam that you see taped off, that needs caulk, but other wise, front, done!
 back, done!
 ah ha. done
 working on insulating
 the white insulation behind the stove is from ovens donated to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
 I have been collecting scraps of insulation left over from others on Craig's List and installing it as I can.. gotta get the wiring in before I start getting crazy.
 the tub is ready to painted. just need to spend the $$ on the paint

 chiseled out the drain opening on the bottom so the drain basket can be installed as intended.
 pile of scrap dumpster-ed from around town.
 gutter end caps made by Erica

 half way done-ish on the ridge. shot of corner flashing on the low side of the roof.
 getting started
I needed help holding these in place while I drilled and screwed them in place. Thank you Tracy!
 drilled through the two layers of metal => bolt => nut => and then caulk underneath.
 each one held.
 worked my way towards the center
 chimney pipe to install next
 Monkey hanging out
 Out-door kitchen. I made Tracy some Kung Pao!
 hobo stoves from Fancy Feast and Vienna Sausage cans. They burn de-natured alcohol. Also how I heat water for washing.
Little wood stove in situ.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

New camera!

I haven't posted in ages, because I have had no camera. But, I just got a new smart phone, and figured out how to use it.. so.. away I go! Blog to be regularly updated from now on!
 Framing to support sub-floor infastructure, such as storage, battery banks, water tanks, filters and pumps.
 Dish washer racks with the tines cut out, and lined with cut up yoga mats.
Here are two racks installed on the framing, held on with zip ties. These two will be for the batteries. I will make cloth bags that will fit into the sides of other racks, and will be accessible storager through the floor.
 mock up water tanks made from card-board, to see how things fit, pumps mounted on some particle board, ready to be zip-tied to the frame
 tofu buckets that I will be useing to make sand filters.

 Cherry counter top in the bathroom
 copper sink in counter top

 steel framing to hold these old amunition crates, which will sit on each level, and be easily removed to access plumbing stuff, and also serve as stairs to get into the loft when they are in place.

 cool iron shears to be used to make sliding door mechanism for the bathroom
 the hearth: steel frame, covered in fire proof gypsum board, covered with some aluminum siding, normally used as skirting around trailers.. nice brick pattern
 and trim
 my friend Ken Ogletree helping me install the tile. We mixed the mortar, and laid the tiles.

 I bought these little climbing fig vines at the horticulture plant sale, I hope they will grow up and cling to the panels.
 Built and installed these cedar panels with scraps from the Restore, and gutter planters installed in the shelves.. This kind of shows the way the panels are mounted to the steel framing under-neith. I anchored cedar blocks, left over from the tub making. The panels have holes that fit over the blocks and then a dowel is pegged through the block to pin the panel to the frame.
I had to re-build the low side of th e roof. It was leaking just alittle, but since a little roof leak is like being alittle pregnant, I decided to ripe off all the metal and board, and retro-fit the trusses with a bit more steel, to create a steaper angle for water to run off. Then I installed new board and new roof metal and have un-loaded many a tube of caulk.