Sunday, November 19, 2017

Re-roofed + cedar sun deck

So, I am going to run out of projects pretty soon. People I haven't seen in a while have been asking me lately, "Did you ever finish your house?' or "Are you living in your house?".
Yes.. and Yes... although with home ownership it will never be completely finished. There is always something to do, but at this point I just keep making it more deluxe. Many people, when I answer their questions, admit that they never thought I could build it in the first place. Hum.

 Anyways,

I had installed some through bolts in the low side of the roof when I worked the solar panel rail supports into the roof trusses, intending to use them to mount an extra climbing rock hand hold and a cedar sun deck up there. It's hard to find a private and safe place to work on an all over tan! Plus, it's peaceful to be up on the roof and now the square footage is increased a tiny bit more. It has been a deluxe dream since the beginning.

When I bought the standing seam roofing for the steep pitched side they didn't have enough to do the low side, and I bought galvanized corrugated instead, but it has caused some corrosion where it was cut. I wasn't able to get right to the projects the through bolts were for because of injuries, so a little bit of water has been dribbling down them onto the ceiling panels, and caused some mold, and separation of the panels from the frame.
 Can you kinda see the orange colored spolching of the mold?
 The panel around the stove pipe with the mold had to be completely replaced, not hard to do. I just popped the chair rail off and pulled the panel down, cut a new one to fit, caulked it and painted.
Fixing the roof took about 12 hours. I forgot to take pictures, but while the metal was up I added a water proof sheet of plastic, kind of like a pond liner meets a fiber house wrap, and then installed the aluminum standing seam roofing over the top. No fasteners showing! (except on the overhang, they just lead to the gutters) No roof penetrations exposed to the weather. No leaks!
I decided to build up the wall along where it meets with the roof with some strips of pressure treated wood, screwed, flashed, caulked and painted. 


The cedar was left over from an awning I built at work on a house reno project. Waste not want not! Dados, and wood screws. No finish, just sanded.

 70" x 24"
and... the climbing rock roof hand hold, which will be really helpful!



No comments:

Post a Comment