Thursday, March 18, 2010

I ran on these axles never the less..relentless optimism


Well, finally, after a lot of work we have realized that the free axle set was not really a gift after all, unless I consider how much the gift helped to inspire and embolden me to start this project. As it turns out the spindles are too short to interface with the hubs that have the right bolt pattern to match up with the rims that I needed to carry the tires that are properly rated for the weight of the unit.. so I am going to try and sell this amazing re-furbished axle set. Really, new axles are not that expensive if all you need is the tubes welded up, so it's not a huge deal in the end.. just a major learning experience and exercise in RELENTLESS OPTIMISM!!! So, here is the deal: These would be great for a utility trailer!!
FOR SALE: $250.00
I have a 7000lb capacity each tandem axle set.
They are a beefy and clean set of axles, 3" diameter 1/4" thick tubing. The hubs are a five bolt pattern, 12"x2". I have made new brake flange plates for mounting new brakes assemblies to, all they need is to be welded in place. The existing spring seats are on 76" centers, but I needed them @ 74" so I made new spring seats to weld on as well. Both the spring seats and flanges are made with 1/4" steel stock. The spindles are 5" long, inner bearing cone dimensions are 1 3/8", outer 1 1/4", I have all inner and outer bearings, and they are in good shape, just need new grease. I have all four nuts. The total length of the set, hub outside to outside is 97".





No comments:

Post a Comment